We are always looking for good people to join the Old Peak Finance team. Check out our current career opportunities.
FINANCIAL PLANNING ASSOCIATE
- Full-time, salaried role (40 hours/week)
- Location: Chapel Hill, NC. We are working 2 days / week in the office and 3 days from home.
- Compensation: depending on experience but approx. $60,000
- 401(k) matching
- Health care insurance and contribution to HSA
- Start date: As early as May 2022
- Old Peak provides comprehensive financial planning to medical professionals, executives and retirees.
- Our clients are busy. They want a trusted partner who listens and helps them achieve their financial goals.
- We are fiduciaries. We take an oath to put each client’s interests first.
- Everything we do is tailored to our clients. We have more than 100 clients, and each has a unique financial plan.
- We are a decade old and have 9 team members. We expect to continue growing as more people discover the benefits of comprehensive financial planning.
- You want to help individuals and families make smart financial decisions. You understand this requires knowledge, thought and listening to each client’s aspirations.
- Work experience: 0-3 years of experience in financial planning.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- You have a CFP® designation or you have passed the coursework
- You are a good writer and able to communicate effectively.
- Detail-oriented. The role requires care in financial analysis (spreadsheets), note-taking, data entry, etc.
- You are tech-savvy, but you certainly don’t need a computer science degree.
- You have a deep curiosity to learn.
About the Role
- Your role is to support our financial advisors.
- Our commitment is to help you learn and grow, through continuous mentoring from each team member. It takes years to develop broad and deep expertise. Every one of us will do our best to contribute to your growth.
- You will work in 3-person teams for each client: a lead advisor, you, and a client service associate.
- You will work with every team member.
- You will assist in creating financial plans, analyzing and creating investment portfolios and responding to a wide variety of client requests.
- You will assist with a variety of internal workflows related to opening and maintaining brokerage accounts, creating client reports, updating our CRM system, rebalancing client portfolios, etc.
- After a few years, you will either take on a lead advisor role or, if you prefer, continue as a supporting advisor.
- As you grow in the role, your responsibilities will expand, and your compensation will increase.
What You'll Be Doing
- Work with the lead advisor to prepare for meetings.
- Attend all client meetings with the lead advisor and take notes.
- After meetings, debrief with the lead advisor and do the administrative follow-up work.
- Begin to assist with creation of financial plans.
- Shadow an advisor for new money investment recommendations and rebalancing recommendations.
- Shadow an advisor during quarterly reporting.
- Shadow an advisor for trading.
- Spend time with our client services associates to learn Schwab forms and procedures.
- Attend regular, virtual sessions with outside subject matter experts on a wide range of topics relevant to our clients.
- Attend MWF team meetings.
- Weekly or biweekly meetings with director of financial planning to discuss progress and agree where you need more exposure.
Within the First 6 Months
- Pass Series 65 exam.
- Develop expertise with financial planning software, CRM software, document management system and Schwab online tools. This will include virtual training sessions.
- Learn about our investment philosophy, including virtual training with our preferred investment firm (www.dimensional.com).
- Gain exposure to estate planning, insurance planning and tax planning through review of multiple client situations.
Within the First Year
- If you have not already passed, you will take and pass the CFP® exam. We will reimburse costs once you pass the exam.
- You will have developed relationships with multiple clients as a member of the client team.
- You will be increasingly confident with all aspects of our service and able to add value in client meetings and in preparing financial planning materials.
In Year 2 and Beyond
- Your progress will depend primarily on you. You will be in a support role for at least several years. But you will gain as much responsibility as you can handle.
- You may have a lead role with some clients after several years.
- Beyond that, we would be thrilled if you become a lead advisor for many clients and equally thrilled if you prefer a senior supporting role with less client interaction.
- Salary paid 2 x / month.
- 401(k) safe harbor match.
- High-deductible health care plan coverage paid for by Old Peak. We will also contribute to an HSA.
- 3 weeks’ vacation annually.
- Professional dues paid:
- Professional development budget (generally one conference / year) to supplement online learning activities
What to Expect in the Application Process
- Step 1: you send us a resume and cover letter. We will review all applications within 2-3 weeks and notify you of next steps.
- Step 2: Zoom call with two team members.
- Step 3: Zoom call with two additional team members.
- Step 4: Final Zoom call and decision / offer.
THANK YOU FOR APPLYING!
Sign up for a complimentary call. We'll listen and determine together if we can help you achieve your goals.